The first Dairy Industry building was a creamery and instruction in buttermaking and cheesemaking was offered in 1908. The building was of frame construction and was located o what is now Peter J. Shields Ave. in the northeast corner of the present library block. It was equipped with offices, a large lecture room, a testing laboratory, and two large dairy manufacturing rooms. Refrigeration, a steam power plant and cold storage rooms ere also provided. In 1909 equipment was purchased to make possible instruction in market milk processing and ice cream manufacture.